April 28, 2024
CSU 2022 Scholarship Roundup

December 2023 Scholarship Roundup

Brianna Bower
Brianna Bower of Madison, Wisconsin, is the recipient of the Women in Fire Scholarship. She currently works as a firefighter paramedic for the Madison Fire Department.

“I get to see where people live and come from and how these circumstances lead to their health problems,” she said. “In four years into my career as a first responder, I love what I do and feel like I’m making a difference in my community.”

With this scholarship, Bower is looking to pursue a master’s degree in public health.

“My educational path thus far has ping-ponged from the field of nursing to the fire service and expanded into the EMS world where I now work as both a firefighter and paramedic. I have always had a passion for, and dream of, obtaining my master’s degree in public health,” she said. “With this degree, I hope to help the people in my community live longer, healthier lives at home where they belong.”

Annette Redelman
Annette Redelman of Westport, Indiana, has been awarded the NAEMT Scholarship. Currently, Redelman works as a paramedic and teaches EMT courses locally. With this scholarship, she plans to continue her education at CSU, pursing her bachelor’s degree in emergency medical services administration.

“I only have eight courses left to finish my bachelor’s degree,” she said. “I want to show others what a rewarding career EMS can be. No matter the issues we face in EMS today, we must work diligently and steadfastly to mitigate them in the best way possible, so we can continue to offer our communities incredible EMS agencies ready to respond when it matters most.”

Brian Kersanty
Brian Kersanty of Northville, Michigan, is the recipient of the Criminal Justice Scholarship. He currently works as an administration sergeant for a police department.

“Within the next five years, my projected life goals are to be promoted to a lieutenant of my police department and to continue serving the citizens of the city and state I work in.”

With this scholarship, Kersanty plans to pursue a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice administration concentrating in forensics.

“Completing your education shows not only the agency and city department heads your level of dedication to your career, but also the citizens,” he said. “I believe that the citizens that I serve deserve the most highly educated police officers they can get. I believe that having a bachelor’s degree will look favorable on not only me, but on my department as a whole.”

Holly Guiden
Holly Guiden of Douglasville, Georgia, has been awarded the Atlanta Fire Rescue Scholarship. She currently works as a firefighter with the Atlanta Fire Rescue Department.

“As a firefighter, my commitment to serving and safeguarding my community is unwavering,” she said. “This scholarship would empower me to expand my knowledge and skills in ways that directly benefit my ability to protect and serve. The education it would fund could potentially lead to innovations or best practices in firefighting, ultimately enhancing the safety and security of the community I hold dear.”

With this scholarship, she plans to pursue a bachelor’s degree in health care administration.

“By pursuing a bachelor’s degree in health care administration, I aim to complement my practical experiences with a comprehensive understanding of healthcare management principles, healthcare law and ethics, healthcare finance and strategic planning,” she said. “I believe that this combination of hands-on experience and formal education will enable me to contribute effectively to healthcare organizations, improve healthcare delivery and make a meaningful impact on patient care and the healthcare industry as a whole.”

Amanda DuShane
Amanda DuShane of Smryna, Georgia, has been awarded a Regional Learning Partner Scholarship. Currently, she is a firefighter for the city of Marietta.

“In my seven years at the fire department I have become a firefighter, AEMT, paramedic and firefighter engineer,” she said. “Following that trajectory, I plan to be promoted to the rank of lieutenant in the next five years. While I have always led in place and been an informal leader, the promotion to lieutenant is truly the next step in formal leadership.”

With this scholarship, she plans to pursue a bachelor’s degree in fire administration.

“Earning my bachelor’s degree is something I have wanted for a long time,” she said. “The fire service has been an environment in which I have found myself, flourished and accomplished many goals. The financial assistance the Learning Partner Scholarship would provide would assist greatly in my continuing to accomplish goals and earn success as a student, firefighter and person.”

For more information about Columbia Southern University’s scholarships, visit ColumbiaSouthern.edu/Scholarships.

Multiple factors, including prior experience, geography and degree field, affect career outcomes. CSU does not guarantee a job, promotion, salary increase, eligibility for a position, or other career growth.

This testimonial may not reflect the typical or ordinary experience of CSU students.