April 18, 2024
policy update

2019 Tuition Increase

Dear Students,

Every day, Columbia Southern University strives to provide every student with access to an affordable, quality education that is underscored with exceptional student support. In fact, these three tenets constitute the core of our mission.

After careful consideration, CSU will adopt a moderate tuition rate increase effective July 1, 2019. The tuition increase will ensure the university continues:

– Providing course materials at no cost.
– Enhancing its degree programs, courses and services.
– Providing students with the most effective and latest technologies including Blackboard upgrades, student portal enhancements and more.

Undergraduate Courses
The tuition rate for undergraduate courses will increase from $225 to $230 per credit hour.

Graduate Courses
The tuition rate for graduate courses will increase from $300 to $315 per credit hour. The tuition rate for graduate courses will remain $250 per credit hour for all active-duty military members.

Doctoral Courses
The tuition rate for doctoral courses will remain $375 per credit hour. The tuition rate for existing students who are currently enrolled in the DBA program at a rate of $350 per credit hour will increase to $375 per credit hour.

Please note that all necessary course resources, including textbooks, will continue to be provided at no additional cost.

The tuition increase will take effect during terms 1B20 and 1A20. The registration open date for term 1B20 is April 10, 2019, and the registration open date for term 1A20 is May 15, 2019. All LifePace Learning® enrollments received on or after July 1, 2019, will adhere to the new rate.

We welcome any questions that you may have. For personal assistance, you may call the Academic Advising and Student Support Center at (877) 323-4471 or email Students@ColumbiaSouthern.edu.

It is a privilege to serve as your higher education institution. We appreciate your commitment to your education and thank you for your continued support.

Kenneth Styron
President

21 Comments

1. Kim M Jackson

It is a hard pill to swallow. I am on disability and we have my husbands income but things are already so tight. I am determined to graduate but I wish they would stop raising the rates. Is there any discounts if you are on disability?

1. Brittany Gibson Post author

Dear Kim,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this subject.

We do offer cost-saving benefits to all of our students because we believe that quality education should be attainable. Please visit ColumbiaSouthern.edu/WaysToSave to learn more about the options that may be available to you including pay-as-you-learn, Learning Partner discounts, scholarships, corporate billing, Federal Student Aid, military and veteran benefits and more.

Your academic advisor will be able to help you with any specific questions that you have on these options.

Sincerely,
      Columbia Southern University

2. Kevin Paul McGee

I side with Kim M Jackson. As technology improves, electronic education should follow by reducing the price. Please abstain from unnecessary increases in educational costs. It is a hard pill to reconcile. I love CSU, but increases in tuition are reprehensible from the start. How do we share what we know with the world around us as we are encouraged to do with the caveat of pay a little extra? How much does it cost to share information? Thank you Kim for your comments. I am perplexed.

1. Libby Reilly

Hi, Kevin.

Thank you so much for talking the time to share your thoughts with us. We appreciate it! We understand that our students’ resources, namely their time and money, are very important. We are always striving to conserve them in the best ways possible while offering enhanced and up-to-date courses, technology and service. This is also why we remain one of the most affordable options in higher education.

If you have additional thoughts or suggestions, we encourage you to share them. Your opinions are important to us!

Thank you,

Libby Reilly
        CSU Marketing

2. Chris Spencer

What is the justification for the rate increase? Is there a page to go to that has the budget breakdown as to where the money is going? Being on the distant learning plan I can not see the reason for the increase if I do not attend class on campus and get to use the facilities.

1. Libby Reilly

Hello, Chris. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We truly value our students’ commitment to their education and the resources it takes to successfully complete their degree program. The tuition increase is due to a few factors, including: managing rising costs; our commitment to continue providing course materials at no cost; enhancements to our online degree programs, courses, and services; and to ensure we have most up-to-date technology. We continue to pride ourselves on offering quality education that is, on average, less than half the cost of our competitors. https://www.columbiasouthern.edu/tuition-financing/tuition-financing

We apologize for any inconvenience this causes you; please reach out the AASSC if you have any additional questions. students@columbiasouthern.edu

3. Erbynn Bedzo

I think it is about time Columbia Southern University (CSU) reviewed its course offering. Looking at the present business/economic situation, the terrain is changing with the tide. Courses such as Cybersecurity and Data Analytics have become two of the most sought after fields in modern times with countless numbers of vacancies especially in the United States.
    As a services member, I can attest to the high demand for Cybersecurity experts in our Armed Forces presently and not to mention the civilian demand for the same expertise, CSU being the military friendly school it is should have stepped-up to the challenge by introducing these two courses of study in their program(s) by now. As a former student, I believe that the CSU flexibility, customer service, and cost are second to non. I enjoyed every bit of my studies with this school obtaining my Associates, Bachelors, Masters and a Graduate Certificate. I began my Doctorate with the school but after my first two classes transferred to another school to pursue a particular specialization (DBA-Global Business and Leadership). I believe its about time CSU introduced some STEM programs at the Masters degree level to help meet the demands that existed in these fields. It is my hope that the CSU president and board would treat these request with some urgency. I hope to be one of the first students should the above mentioned STEM courses be introduced to the CSU Masters degree program.

1. Libby Reilly

Good morning, Erbynn. Thank you for taking the time to share this thoughtful information with us, and thank you for your service! Wow- kudos to you on your robust education. We certainly appreciate the feedback on degree programs and will share it with various university leaders to help us as we grow in the future.

We currently offer a bachelor’s degree in information systems and cyber security, which has a concentration in homeland security. You can read more about it here: https://www.columbiasouthern.edu/online-degree

If I can answer any more questions for you, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Libby Reilly
      Communications Coordinator
      CSU Marketing

4. Tina

Hello, why do you not offer Social Work Degrees and Counselor Degrees at the Bachelor and preferably the Master levels? Mental health is very prominent in all states. According to statistics there are millions of people affect by mental health in some capacity due to depression, bipolar, anxiety, suicide, drug use etc. The workforce is in dire need of more workers. I have been searching other online schools for these degrees, but have not found any affordable.

1. Libby Reilly

Good morning, Tina. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We appreciate the insight and suggestion! We agree that this field is important and we are glad you are making a difference there and looking to expand your education. Have you looked into our public health or healthcare management degree programs? Our graduates in these fields are making great strides in healthcare and in their communities. We also offer a certificate in behavioral health that may be of interest to you. https://communicator.columbiasouthern.edu/2017/10/csu-announces-behavioral-health-ceu-certificate-series/

If you have any questions, please let me know or feel free to reach out to your advisor. Thank you again!

Libby Reilly
      Communications Coordinator
      CSU Marketing

5. J Newton

I am with Chris S., on all the price increases that CSU has adapted. While I understand that it cost to do business, I am unable to see just how it is getting so expensive to provide distance education to student abroad. I truly hope that CSU is not overreaching to cover the administrative aspects of operating the institution. Being a student that has been with CSU since my associate degree, I am very amazed at the multiple and frequent price adjustments that have been implemented. I am now in my master’s program and worry if I will be able to continue to afford my studies. I originally came to CSU because my research determined that the university offered a great cost effective education. I hope in the long run that I am not wrong with my choice.

1. Libby Reilly

Hi, J. Thank you for your thoughtful comment and for being a part of the CSU family! Congratulations on all of your academic success.

CSU continues to be committed to offering our students course materials at no cost, updated technology, and enhancements in our degree programs, courses and services. The increase in tuition allows us to manage rising costs while still being able to provide these things to our valued students. CSU remains one of the most affordable options in higher education, with the added benefits we provide, along with personalized service, tutoring at no cost, and more.

We take our students commitment to their education seriously and always value their time, resources, and input.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

Libby Reilly
      Communications Coordinator
      CSU Marketing

6. Steven Hetletvedt

What I want to say on this site. The school will not like the answer and probably warn me about expulsion. I do not see it right either to increase the price on those who are on the distance program. I am also a disabled veteran and seeing this we are not told about any information as to why the increase is taking effect except for greed by the administration.

1. Libby Reilly

Hello, Steven. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We appreciate the feedback, and also thank you for your service to our country.

We constantly strive to offer the best service, resources, and technology to our students across the country and around the world. We are committed to continue providing course materials at no cost, offer modern technology, and enhance our programs, courses and services. We want to do this with the utmost respect to our students’ resources.

If you haven’t recently, I encourage you to check out the resources we offer to our military students. If you have any questions, your academic advisor is a great person to reach out to.

https://www.columbiasouthern.edu/military/overview

I hope this helps. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Libby Reilly
      CSU Marketing

7. Lena

I recently joined Columbia and I joined because of the tuition rate. Its online courses which budget wise is less costly. Therefore I really wish that they can leave the tuition the same for existing students. I don’t receive military discounts nor any other kinds of discounts, which really is hard on someone trying to pay out of pocket for a degree.

1. Libby Reilly

Hi, Lena. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We understand what a commitment you have made to finishing your degree and paying for it out of pocket – that says a lot about your desire to achieve your goals! We value your time, commitment and resources and always strive to offer the best we can to our students. That includes remaining the most affordable options in higher education online. If you haven’t recently, I encourage you to visit the Ways to Save page on our website. You may come across some cost-saving options that you weren’t yet aware of! https://www.columbiasouthern.edu/waystosave

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out.

Sincerely,

Libby Reilly
      Communications Coordinator
      CSU Marketing

8. Mathew Longanecker

CSU is an excellent value even with the latest rate increase which in my opinion is minimal. For grad courses $15 more per credit. For undergrad its $5 more per credit. CSU is three times less expensive then my local State University. I have no complaints about the rate increase. CSU offers flexibility that I cannot get anywhere else at a much lower price. Keep up the good work CSU!

1. Libby Reilly

Good morning, Matthew. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! We value your opinion and trust.

Sincerely,

Libby Reilly
      Communications Coordinator
      CSU Marketing

2. Jessica J Jordan

Mathew,

I am in total agreement with you. My daughter is going to our local state university and is paying per credit hour for Bachelor courses, what I am paying at CSU for my Master’s course. PLUS, she has to pay for books. Zero complaints from me – looking forward to paying the price for the doctoral program when I begin it as well, because it is far below others!

1. Libby Reilly

Hello, Jessica! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Congratulations on working toward your degree at the same time as your daughter. Kudos to you and we wish you continued success in your ongoing scholastic achievements.

Sincerely,

Libby Reilly
        Communications Coordinator
        CSU Marketing