April 29, 2024

Take 5 with Safety Director and CSU Professor Julie Carter

June is National Safety Month, and CSU is proud to recognize all of the outstanding work our students, alumni and faculty contribute to this field. Julie Carter, a CSU graduate and professor has worked in safety for nearly three decades. She is currently the director of environmental, health and safety at Roy Anderson Corp.

We asked Julie to share more about herself and what she loves most about her career:

1. Tell us about your job as a director of environmental health and safety and how long you have worked in the safety field? I started in safety by “accident”. I hadn’t planned a career in safety, I had a background in political science, and had really planned to continue into law school eventually. Around 30 years ago or so, to earn some money, I took a job answering phones as a temp for a construction company. Then, they sent me to a project to be the admin/office person, but they needed someone to flag traffic on one of the road projects. It turned out I had a love for construction! I advanced through the ranks up to superintendent/project manager, until one night when we were finishing an interstate bridge project. The asphalt plant had gone down around 2 a.m., so I went over to get an update. I noticed our senior manager on the conveyor belt with a sledgehammer, trying to loosen the clogged material to get the plant back up and running. I mentioned to him that it didn’t look safe. I woke up the next day as safety manager for the company. It was then that I decided to learn everything I could about safety.
  2. How did you become an adjunct professor at CSU? While attending a safety conference a few years back, I stopped by an event that CSU was hosting for alumni and ran into Dr. Dan Corcoran, and we got to talking about the need for professors from the industry. I had recently completed my master’s in occupational safety and health, and I was eager to volunteer!
  3. What do you enjoy most about your job as a professor? Interacting with students from everywhere, all industries and locations is really one of the best things about CSU. Knowing that I am making a difference in their career paths is extremely rewarding, but I learn just as much from them as they learn from me! It’s always nice when I stop by the CSU booth at conferences and get to meet some of the students.
  4. As a CSU alumna, what advice can you give to students who are pursuing their degree? Keep going. Keep learning. Listen to the feedback provided by your professors as the professors at CSU are some of the best safety professionals in the business. As a former student, I can attest to the fact that the lessons taught here are based on real life, and real experiences. Those lessons have been invaluable in my career. Take time to read the announcements and the unit lessons, do some critical thinking and determine how you can apply it all in real life.
  5. What do you enjoy doing in your spare time? Well, I live in the New Orleans area, so there’s always something to do! I love Renaissance festivals and especially pirate festivals. Arrrghhh, Matey! I also enjoy reading, time in the garden and cooking!