COMMUNICATOR
May 6, 2024

June 2023 Scholarship Roundup

Taylor Hill
Taylor Hill of Kansas City, Missouri, is the recipient of the CSU Fire Scholarship. She is a full-time firefighter and an instructor at Metropolitan Community College – Blue River in the fire academy program.

“I am trying to prepare myself to the best of my ability to step up into a position of captain when my organization needs it and be a leader for the younger firefighters coming into the field now,” she said.

With this scholarship, Hill is looking to pursue a bachelor’s degree in fire administration.

“Within the next 5 years, I would like to become an officer within my fire department,” she said. “I would be the first female to ever get promoted to the rank of captain within my organization. Although we don’t require a bachelor’s degree, I believe the courses that Columbia Southern University offers would facilitate the knowledge and growth I need to be prepared for this next step in my career and give me a better opportunity to stand out amongst other candidates for the position.”

Joseph Ferrer
Joseph Ferrer of Carson, California, was recently awarded the CSU Knight Scholarship.

“As a full-time working graduate student with a burgeoning career in health care administration, the vertigo of balancing the demands of a high-pressure job with the equally taxing feat of earning a master’s degree and retaining some semblance of a personal life is not for the faint of heart,” he said. “Nonetheless, the Knight Scholarship is a unique, generous, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (and very charming respite) that will allow me to truly focus on my educational pursuits and avoid every professional graduate student’s least favorite necessary evil – paying tuition.”

Ferrer plans to use this scholarship to pursue a master’s degree in public health.

“We are just about at the three-year mark of our country’s fight against the Covid-19 pandemic, and the health care industry is still required to adhere to moderate public health safeguards,” he said. “If I am granted this amazing scholarship opportunity to apply towards my master’s degree in public health, the skills and resources I will gain from the experience will catapult me to being an effective leader and change agent for both underserved communities I represent.”

Samantha Katterman
Samantha Katterman of Scappoose, Oregon, is the recipient of the Global Medical Response Scholarship. With this scholarship, she is looking to pursue a master’s degree in business administration at CSU.

“This scholarship will allow me to continue my education, leading to additional growth opportunities at work and life, while easing my burden in the other aspects of my life,” she said. “Being able to continue my education is important for my personal growth and well-being, but if I can get help financially with this goal, I will be better able to balance the rest of my life too.”

To learn more about Columbia Southern University’s scholarships, visit ColumbiaSouthern.edu/Scholarships.

Disclaimer: These testimonials may not reflect the experience of all CSU students.
Multiple factors, including prior experience, geography, and degree field, affect career outcomes.
CSU does not guarantee a job, promotion, salary increase, eligibility for a position, or other career growth.

Share