April 25, 2024

How Education Became a Saving Grace for CSU Graduate Lendel Del Cid

“Todos tenemos una historia que contar.” We all have a story to tell. For Lendel Del Cid, his story began in a small city located in Guatemala. Lendel’s father, Lino, came to the U.S. in the 1990’s. A successful business-owner, Lino began receiving threats from Salvadorian gang members. In an effort to keep his family safe, he sought asylum in the U.S. where he moved his wife and daughter.

“I was born in Guatemala,” Lendel said. “I was raised by my grandparents there until my father brought me to the U.S., undocumented, to join the rest of my family and for me to have a better future.”

As he settled into his new life, Lendel learned to read and write, sparking a passion for learning. He went on to earn his college degree in occupational safety and health at CSU.

“I never thought that I would be here writing about my life story to share with others on how much this degree program has influenced my career,” he said. “I hope that my story can motivate others to take those risks because there is something out there for all of us and we should not let anything hold us back from our dreams.”

Watch Lendel’s story to see how the decision to take on a college degree was for more than just a job, but for personal growth.