April 25, 2024

Alumnus David Hudon Saves Lives on Land, Air and Sea

David Hudon can do it all. A clinical manager for Thorne Ambulance Service in Gilbert, South Carolina, Hudon is no stranger to paramedics. In fact, in addition to serving as an ambulance paramedic, he has also saved lives in the air and at sea.

“I feel very fortunate that my career has allowed me to treat and transport patients in ambulances, helicopters and boats,” he said. “Some of my most memorable EMS calls happened while I was working on the Marine 1 boat with the Lexington County Sheriff’s Department.”

Hudon was selected as a per diem flight paramedic through LifeNet South Carolina in 2018, and was certified through the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators, which trains law enforcement officer and first responders in boat operations.

His degrees through CSU has allowed him to pursue his role in management and discover a love of education in public service.

“I realized early on in my career of being a paramedic that I enjoyed teaching and find it to be very fulfilling,” he said. “As an EMT or paramedic on an ambulance, you can only affect one life at a time, that of your patient. But through education, I can affect the lives of many patients even when I’m not the clinician treating them.”

With a rewarding career and volunteer work in his community, Hudon pursued a university that was not only an industry leader, but offered flexible coursework as well.

“I chose CSU for their flexible scheduling as well as their low cost compared to similar programs,” he said. “When you work in a career where rotating schedules are common practice, it is challenging to submit school work on someone else’s timeline. For me, the LifePace course model has worked very well and I have been able to go to work and complete my schoolwork without a huge disruption to my life.”

Recently, Hudon served on the Critical Care Standing Orders committee, a group of EMS providers across the state of South Carolina who collaborate with the Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC). He was asked to hold a chair position on the DHEC committee that will rewrite the Administrative Policy Manual.

“This manual is the bible for all things EMS in South Carolina. Of all the work that I have done with DHEC, I am most excited about this opportunity as I will be able to have a positive impact on all of South Carolina EMS,” he said.

Hudon earned an associate degree in fire science and is currently pursuing his bachelor’s degree in emergency medical services administration. He is also a contributor for EMS1.com.

One Comment

1. JoAnn Hudon

David I am so proud of you! That is a wonderful presentation of all you have accomplished Thank you for your service you have gone above and beyond in your field of service. Love you