April 28, 2024
CSU 2022 Scholarship Roundup

January 2024 Scholarship Roundup

Christopher “Cody” Coonrod
Christopher “Cody” Coonrod of Omaha, Nebraska, has been awarded the 2023 Safety Scholarship. Coonrod is a professional in the field of environmental health and safety, specializing in safety management. Beyond his career, Cody finds joy in the great outdoors, embracing activities that connect him with nature. As a husband and father of two, he navigates the balance of family life with a fierce commitment, guided by the mantra ‘Saved by Grace.’ With this scholarship, he plans to continue pursuing a bachelor’s degree in occupational safety and health at CSU.

Kimberly Barker
Kimberly Barker of Grove City, Ohio, is the recipient of the Hero Behind the Hero Scholarship. She is a full-time dispatcher and part-time firefighter/EMT.

“I want to make a difference in my community by working in local government,” she said. “I have lived most of my life in Appalachian Ohio and have seen the struggles of community members, especially women in male-dominated career fields.”

With this scholarship, Barker plans to pursue a master’s degree in public administration with the hopes of opening doors for women in her field.

“I believe that by obtaining my master’s degree, I will be able to obtain a higher-level job and be more active in policy and procedure making for a dispatch center,” she said. “I would also like to use this position to recruit more women, especially young women, to the field.”

Karen Pace
Karen Pace of Bainbridge, Georgia, has been awarded the CSU Knight Scholarship. Pace currently works in the law enforcement field.

“I’ve been in law enforcement for over 20 years, but I have no degree,” she said. “I’ve always wanted to learn about psychology and become a therapist and help people.”

With this scholarship, Pace is looking to pursue a bachelor’s degree in psychology at CSU.

“This scholarship would allow me to finally achieve my dreams while working toward a new future for my family,” she said. “My whole life I’ve taken care of others. It would mean so much to me to be able to do something for myself.”

For more information about Columbia Southern University’s scholarships, visit ColumbiaSouthern.edu/Scholarships.

Multiple factors, including prior experience, geography and degree field, affect career outcomes. CSU does not guarantee a job, promotion, salary increase, eligibility for a position, or other career growth.

This testimonial may not reflect the typical or ordinary experience of CSU students.