May 4, 2024
CSU 2022 Scholarship Roundup

July 2023 Scholarship Roundup

Kevin Low
Kevin Low of New York City, New York, was recently awarded the New York City Fire Department Scholarship. Low, an NYDF employee, is planning to pursue his master’s degree in public administration with this scholarship.

“One goal I have would be to encourage all members in the pursuit of knowledge,” he said. “Obtaining a master’s degree while on the job would set a good example to everyone that I practice what I preach. Perhaps in doing so, I can inspire others to do the same.”

Dustin Carter
Dustin Carter of Bronx, New York, was awarded the New York City Fire Department Scholarship. With this scholarship, Carter will pursue a bachelor’s degree in psychology.

“My longer-term career goals include advancing in the ranks at FDNY,” he said. “Completing my bachelor’s degree in psychology would obviously give me additional credentials that have a direct impact on how my promotion application is scored. More importantly, completing a bachelor’s degree in psychology would give me the critical thinking and educational background to help manage a diverse workforce. Helping people sort through issues and guide them on their career path would be one of the most rewarding aspects.”

Cynthia Kilburn
Cynthia Kilburn of Alamo, Texas, is the recipient of the CSU Criminal Justice Scholarship. Cynthia will earn her bachelor’s degree in forensic investigation with this scholarship.

“After several years of being a stay-at-home mom, I entered the workforce and began learning what actually interests me and not just the mom side of me,” she said. “I had several non-career-based jobs, followed by a long-term job in news journalism. When I learned reached the peak of that career for my area, I began searching for other options. An opportunity came available in dispatching, and I began there fairly quickly. While I love what I do, I still feel like I can do more. Investigative journalism was my favorite as a news journalist, and having opportunities to help in our deputies’ investigations are my favorite part of what I do now.”

Susan Schirmer
Susan Schirmer of Rock River, Wyoming, is the recipient of the CSU Safety Scholarship. With this scholarship, she plans to pursue an associate degree in occupational safety and health.

“This scholarship would have a huge impact on my education,” she said. “It would allow to me to complete courses and receive a degree in an occupation that, not only I would be successful at, but one that would provide income to support myself for the rest of my life.”

To learn more about Columbia Southern University’s scholarships, visit ColumbiaSouthern.edu/Scholarships.