March 28, 2024

May 2022 Scholarship Roundup

Jenna Larson
Jenna Larson of New Glarus, Wisconsin, is the recipient of the CSU Fire Scholarship. Larson works as a paramedic and firefighter for the Madison Fire Department in Madison, Wisconsin.

“Striving for the next step in my career, I knew Columbia Southern could teach me the missing pieces of the puzzle in my emergency management career,” she said. “CSU will teach me both hard and soft skills to make me a better leader, teammate, educator and emergency manager in the pursuit of my dreams within the fire department, the industry and also my community.”

Larson plans to pursue a master’s degree in emergency services management.

“This scholarship will allow me to make a difference in the ever-changing and challenging world of emergency care,” she said. “My hope is to complete my education to the best of my ability, gain applicable experience to not only save lives in my community but also show other women they too can achieve anything they set their minds to. The strongest women I know, empower other women to achieve their dreams.”

Katrelle Mitchell
Katrelle Mitchell of Dacula, Georgia, was recently awarded the CSU Learning Partner Scholarship. Mitchell serves as a program administrator for Lion Vallen Industries, a subsidiary of LION Group, Inc.  which is a CSU learning partner. Her goal is to be promoted to general manager of her facility and work to create a positive, enjoyable workplace.

“I currently assist with managing the staff at three remote locations which includes human resource functions and administrative assistance,” she said. “I would like to develop into a role that encourages the growth and profitability of our organization, assist with employee development and boost employee morale.”

With this scholarship, Mitchell plans to pursue a degree in business administration at CSU. She will be the first in her family to graduate college.

“I am a single mother of two girls, and I am almost to the finish line,” said she. “My goal is to complete college so that it will motivate my daughters to have the same desire to as well.”

To learn more about CSU’s scholarship opportunities, visit ColumbiaSouthern.edu/Scholarships.