COMMUNICATOR
March 29, 2024

Kentucky’s Chief Master Sgt. Ray Dawson Earns Third Degree

Chief Master Sgt. Ray E. Dawson is the recently retired state command chief master sergeant for the Kentucky National Guard, Joint Force Headquarters in Frankfort, Kentucky. Amid his responsibilities and prior to his retirement, Dawson completed his Master of Public Administration degree at Columbia Southern University.

“By adding the MPA to my broad experience of developing and inspiring others, I feel I am able to provide valued guidance and counsel to peers and subordinates alike who may be undecided on the value of education,” he said.

In addition to mentoring his peers, Dawson also advised the adjutant general of Kentucky on issues affecting the morale and well-being of personnel and their families. This included matters relating to staffing, equipment and training during peacetime in preparation for the wartime mission.

“I constantly had my finger on the pulse,” said Dawson. “’Fight as a Kentuckian,’” that’s the motto of the Kentucky National Guard. My responsibility was to speak on behalf of the airmen. American airmen and their families are what makes the mission happen and I owe them nothing less than my best as their state command chief.”

It was that same fight and dedication that earned Dawson his diploma which he received during a small ceremony on May 18, 2021, at the Kentucky Air National Guard Headquarters in Louisville, Kentucky.

“That diploma was my third and I tell you it seems to get better every time,” he said. “The euphoric feeling of receiving that degree is something I will never forget!”

Dawson is currently on leave pending his retirement from the Kentucky National Guard and looks to apply for a position as a chief of police when the right position becomes available. His hope is to keep the CSU Knight spirit alive, but not as a student this time.

“I would love to serve as an adjunct professor for CSU to fulfill that desire I have to inspire, develop and encourage others to give back.”

Disclaimer: These testimonials may not reflect the experience of all CSU students.
Multiple factors, including prior experience, geography, and degree field, affect career outcomes.
CSU does not guarantee a job, promotion, salary increase, eligibility for a position, or other career growth.

Share

One Comment