April 25, 2024
woman with glasses smiling

Staff Sgt. Chanel Childs at Forefront of COVID-19 Military Research

Staff Sgt. Chanel Childs is a public technician in the United States Air Force, stationed at England’s Royal Air Force Lakenheath. While she feels strongly about her military mission and always puts that first, she also wanted to better herself and her future by pursuing an MBA with CSU.

“I am an active duty Airman first. The military offers opportunities and pays for school, but again, the mission always comes first,” she said. “CSU has been amazing with working with my schedule. They have a number of programs to choose from that are conducive with my military lifestyle and what I ultimately want to achieve in the end.”

Most recently, Childs has been working with the 48th Medical Group Public Health office to ensure the health and safety of her fellow service members and their families during the COVID-19 pandemic.
In 2019, Childs was awarded Airman of the Year for her squadron, which she attributes in part to her education.

“This degree will impact my career in a number of ways. Being in the military, different awards are granted and special assignments are awarded to those with higher education,” she said. “Also, receiving an MBA helps me to become a better leader overall due to all the teachings and managerial processes I will learn and have learned thus far.”

Childs knows the importance of both education and acquiring good leadership skills, both in and outside of the military.

“Moving up in rank comes with knowing how to manage programs and your troops. My previous class taught me so much about process and program management and leading from the front,” she said. “I was definitely able to apply learned practices to my job. Since my last class, I have actively managed seven programs for my job. I was able to apply processes in order to enhance my programs effectiveness.”

Childs and her dad, CSU military representative, Carl Childs.

For those who are considering earning a first or additional degree, Childs stresses the importance in setting yourself apart.

“I am a strong believer in making yourself marketable and setting yourself apart. Completing some form of higher education shows discipline, commitment and teachability,” she said. “Those characteristics stand out in all facets. Whether you want to be an entrepreneur or work for a large company, education can open many doors and provide a number of opportunities to achieve your end goal.”

Childs plans to graduate with her MBA in 2022. Her father, Carl, is a military outreach representative at CSU.

“As a public health technician, she is at the forefront of this pandemic. She is constantly conducting inspections and contact tracing in the event that there is a positive case,” he said. “She constantly reminds me of just how serious this virus is and can be. She is sort of my security blanket, as I trust her knowledge. I am so proud of her and the service members who serve along with her.”

To learn more about CSU’s opportunities for military students, visit ColumbiaSouthern.edu/Mil.

5 Comments

1. Hurley Blackmon, JR

Proud of my Granddaughter and her achievements and dedication serving in The United States Air Force. She is following in her Father and my Footsteps as I am also Air Force Tetited.

2. Marcus Brown

Congratulations Chanel great accomplishments I’m so proud of you. God Bless you as you go higher in Him!

3. Harriett King

Chanel is my niece and I am so very proud of her. She has always been my special girl and now I see that she is special in other ways. When she came to tell me that she was joining the Air Force I was proud that she is taking up where her father and my brother left off. So I just wanted to let her know that I love and I pray that she’s careful in her job. But I am very thankful that she is my niece and my twin. You are doing a great job for our family and our country. Love, Aunt Sissy ❤

1. Libby Reilly

Good morning, Aunt Sissy! I know you must be so proud of Chanel. We are proud of her too!

Sincerely,

Libby Reilly
      Communications Coordinator
      CSU Marketing