COMMUNICATOR
April 23, 2024
scholarship roundup

September Scholarship Roundup

Nicolle Baker – Learning Partner Scholarship

Nicolle Baker’s career in the fire service began when she was 14 years old. She served as a junior firefighter for a neighboring department and fell in love with the industry.

“Due to my age, I wasn’t permitted to make interior fire attacks or drive an engine. That didn’t stop me. Like an eager little sponge, I soaked up every ounce of firehouse life I could,” she said. “I worked multiple fundraisers, I was up at 5 a.m. making pancakes for the annual breakfast, hanging targets for shooting competitions, or standing in the blistering sun working a roadblock. You name it; I was in the middle of it. I loved everything about community service.”

She became a certified EMT 11 years ago and still loves serving the community. Today, she is a member of the Kentucky Community Response Team, a group of volunteers who respond after critical events to offer psychological first aid to those involved.

Baker is the recipient of the CSU Learning Partner Scholarship. She is an emergency medical responder with the Fern Creek Fire Department in Kentucky. With this scholarship, she will pursue her BSBA in human resource management.

Cynthia Sato – IAAI Scholarship

Since she began her career at the age of 22, Cynthia Sato has served many positions in the fire service, including paramedic, dispatcher, search and rescue canine handler and arson investigator. As an arson investigator, she has found a role that she would like to grow in and for which to raise the bar.

“Over the next five years, I see my attending college as a stepping stone toward meeting the bar of becoming a good investigator, being a more credible witness and investigator for arson investigations, and I will learn more about the criminal justice system and fire investigation procedures.”

Sato loves giving back and knows that her time as a canine handler was rewarding, not just for her, but also for the community.

Sato is the recipient of the 2020 CSU International Association of Arson Investigators Scholarship. She will pursue a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice administration with a concentration in arson investigation.

Lamontry Lott Sr. – IABPFF Chief Joseph L. Jones Scholarship

Lamontry Lott Sr. of the Dallas Fire-Rescue was recently awarded the Chief Joseph L Jones Scholarship with the International Association of Black Professional Fire Fighters. Carl Childs, a CSU military outreach representative, awarded Lott the scholarship.

Lott is a driver and paramedic with Dallas Fire-Rescue, where he has worked since 2001.
“If you have a passion for being a firefighter or paramedic, be sure that’s what you want to do. It can be a stressful job, and you have to be mentally prepared to deal with tragic situations,” he said. “Sometimes I end up being a counselor and a comforter, but I always keep in mind that something that may not be a big deal for me is a life-threatening situation for the individual I’m helping.”

Lott intends to use this scholarship to pursue his B.S. in fire administration from CSU.

Disclaimer: These testimonials may not reflect the experience of all CSU students.
Multiple factors, including prior experience, geography, and degree field, affect career outcomes.
CSU does not guarantee a job, promotion, salary increase, eligibility for a position, or other career growth.

Share
team with hands up in the air CSU Assistant Provost Shares Seven Lessons on Leadership Previous post
woman working on laptop