March 19, 2024
CSU President, Ken Styron

Springtime Reflections and a Look Ahead

Dear students and alumni,

I love being outdoors any time of year, but spring is by far my favorite. Although Orange Beach does not generally suffer a harsh winter, there is still something energizing about entering a new season of life. As I consider mine, I am proud to share my love of the great outdoors with my sons. I have been actively involved in the Boy Scouts of America since I was 10 years old. During my time with the Scouts, I have learned more than how to tie a knot or build a proper campfire—although both of these skills have come in handy many times throughout my life. I have also learned important lessons about life, teamwork and leadership, and I am blessed to be able to pass them along to the next generation.

Soon, our 2019 graduates will also be considering their next season of life. This year, our Commencement ceremony will take place on Friday, October 18, at the Foley Event Center at OWA. This is always a great time in Orange Beach; I enjoy meeting our proud graduates and their families, showing them the campus and our little slice of paradise along the Gulf Coast. The time of year is perfect still to enjoy some down time at the beach before and after you receive your diploma. Registration is open, so if you are planning to participate, you can learn more here.

Speaking of graduates, the spring edition of the CSU Alumni Magazine is hot off the presses. I love reading the inspiring stories of our graduates and seeing everything that our Knights are doing in their communities and careers since graduating from CSU. This spring, alumnus Dele Ashafa is featured. Dele overcame huge obstacles while growing up in Nigeria and serving in the Nigerian Army before moving to the U.S. Despite his hardships, his positive outlook and the way he is now able to share the lessons he learned throughout his life is so inspiring. I hope you enjoy reading his story as much as I have.

You can read the entire CSU Alumni Magazine here.

One noteworthy development at CSU is that our Master of Science in occupational safety and health degree program and its environmental management concentration has been included as a Graduate Safety Practitioner® Qualified Academic Program by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals. As our second program to be named a QAP, this recognition speaks volumes to the quality and rigor of our degree programs and I know this will mean a great deal to our students and graduates. You can learn more about this recognition here.

I hope your new season is full of promise and gratitude. As always, I am grateful for each of you.

Sincerely,

Ken Styron