September 18, 2024
Scholarship Roundup Graphic

September 2024 Scholarship Roundup

Crystal Burdette
Crystal Burdette of Ocean Springs, Mississippi, has been awarded the CSU Knight Scholarship. As a certified level 1 and 2 reiki practitioner, Burdette is looking to pursue a bachelor’s degree in psychology to gain more knowledge to offer people the coping skills and assistance they need to get well and stay well.

“I am more than ready to take the steps necessary to make this degree happen,” she said. “I look forward to finishing my education journey with Columbia Southern University and am grateful for all of the help so far in making my career dreams a reality.”

Burdette plans to continue her education by completing a master’s degree in psychology after finishing her bachelor’s degree at CSU.

“My dream to open a health and wellness center as a master psychologist would be a dream come true,” she said. “I was born to nurture others. I want to change the mental health access in Mississippi and remove stigma around taboo topics such as eating disorders and childhood trauma. I would love to advocate for others.”

Jesse Garcia
Jesse Garcia of Carbondale, Colorado, has been awarded the International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI) Scholarship. He currently works as a fire inspector with Roaring Fork Fire Rescue.

“Beginning as a volunteer on the operations side in 2019, I immersed myself in community events orchestrated by our Prevention Bureau, like Sound the Alarm, Fire Prevention Week and National Night Out. These engagements illuminated the profound impact of fire prevention efforts on public safety, instilling in me a deep sense of fulfillment and purpose.”

With this scholarship, Garcia plans to pursue a bachelor’s degree in fire administration at CSU.

“I eagerly anticipate leveraging my education to become a beacon of support and inspiration for future recruits, embodying the same guidance and encouragement that propelled my journey. With CSU as my partner, I aspire to enhance my expertise, amplify my impact and ultimately contribute meaningfully to the safety and well-being of our community.”

Judith A. Akinfenwa
Judith A. Akinfenwa of Baltimore, Maryland, has been named the inaugural recipient of the Vicki Barnes Community Involvement Scholarship. She currently works as a certified health care dietary manager. Originally from Kenya, Akinfenwa worked to help prevent diseases that affected her country.

“Before I left my country as an immigrant to look for greener pastures in the USA, I had a community women/men support group for HIV/AIDS individuals,” she said. “It’s called KINDA which stands for perseverance.

This support group was created while she was working for Compassion International which takes care of children in the community where she lived.

“We started the support group to enable parents who have HIV/AIDs to put food on the table, help with school supplies for their children, be able to go to the hospital and get medical attention along with their supply of antiretroviral therapy.”

With this scholarship, she plans to pursue a master’s degree in public health at CSU.

“I am hopeful to be named one of your foundation’s scholarship recipients, so that I can continue on my pathway to become a public health specialist to fight disease in the community I live in now and also continue supporting the KINDA support group in Kenya.”

For more information about Columbia Southern University’s scholarships, visit ColumbiaSouthern.edu/Scholarships.