September 18, 2024

Facing the ‘What If’ Monsters: April Mallory’s New Beginning

Everyone has a unique story that’s often invisible at first glance. For April Mallory, the restart button was pressed for her life in 2016. In a season where people around her were settling into their careers, she made the choice to go back to school and pursue higher education for her children and for herself, not letting the fear of the “what if’s” stand in her way.

April’s story begins years earlier, as she was approaching the end of high school and decided to drop out in the final week just before graduating.

“I became a mother at 19, which meant balancing full-time work and parenting early on,” she said. “This kept me from pursuing a college education until later in life when I could better manage family and work responsibilities. At 25, I decided to complete my education by enrolling in an online high school, where I earned the remaining credits needed to receive my high school diploma instead of a GED.”

Despite the determination she showed in returning to school, April found herself facing a new set of obstacles that tested her resilience and strength, as she navigated the difficulties of starting over as a single mother.

“I got divorced and had to start my life all over as a single mother of two,” she said. “The next several years of my life were extremely challenging. I was babysitting full-time while homeschooling my daughter and caring for my younger autistic child. I realized that there was no way I would ever make a living as a single mother if I did not pursue a higher education.”

While researching criminal justice degree programs, April came across CSU and made the decision to enroll, excited to take the next step in her academic journey.

“I’ve always been fascinated by the law, police work and the pursuit of justice,” she said. “Growing up in rough areas and facing a troubled past as a teenager, I developed a deep desire to make a positive impact. This motivated me to pursue a degree that would enable me to help others who might be going through similar experiences to those I faced in my youth.”

Once she got settled into her degree program, life did not ease up on April; instead, it delt her with even more challenges and responsibilities, testing her determination in ways she hadn’t anticipated.

Throughout April’s years at CSU, she has gone through many obstacles. While pursuing her degree part-time, she had been babysitting full-time, homeschooling her daughter, caring for her son’s needs and navigating his busy therapy schedule and also dealing with the death of her grandfather and then her father only one month later.

“I experienced fear, anxiety, stress and overwhelming pressure. But, every time I looked into my children’s eyes, I found the motivation to keep pushing for a better life for us. I knew that dwelling on my sorrow and grief wouldn’t solve anything. I had to take massive action and make choices that would positively impact our future.”

April overcame many challenges while pursuing her degree at CSU, and managed to do so with high honors and a 4.0 GPA, a bar she set high for her children to look up to.

“It always comes back to my kids,” she said. “I can only tell them to get good grades if I show them it’s possible. My daughter now maintains straight A’s in college, often saying, ‘If you can do it, then so can I!’. Those moments make me proud because I know my example made a difference.”

Currently, April is back at CSU pursuing a master’s degree, but this time in human resource management.

“I have a deep passion for helping others, and that’s why I’m drawn to human resources. The idea of being able to change someone’s life by offering them a job is incredibly rewarding to me. Having faced my own challenges in seeking employment, I’m particularly motivated to be on the other side of the process, helping those in similar situations find opportunities and succeed.”

Once she has completed her master’s degree in human resource management, April is eager to start a career as a recruiter, with the goal of progressing to a human resource manager role within the next five years.

“I gained a lot from my degree program at CSU,” she said. “Ultimately, wanting a better life and more opportunities has driven me to pursue my degree.”

Going back to school as a single mother of two is no easy feat. One thing April encourages others who may have a similar story is to pursue your goals without hesitation.

“There will never be a perfect time to start working towards what you want because life will always present challenges and obstacles,” she said. “If full-time college feels overwhelming, consider going part-time—progress is progress, no matter the pace. Remember, you are never too old, too young, too busy or too anything to chase your dreams.”

“Do not let fear or the ’what if’ monsters keep you from pursuing a degree that will lead to more opportunities and a better life for you and your family. I hope my story inspires and encourages others to keep going and never give up. I promise it will pay off one day—I am living proof.”