COMMUNICATOR
September 15, 2024

Take 5 With Writing Center Specialist Andrea Whittle

Andrea Whittle has been a part of the CSU family for five years. In her role as a CSU writing specialist, Andrea’s specialty is working with students on their writing skills. She gives feedback on essays, conducts live sessions to review students’ writings and will even hop on the phone with students to assist them with their needs. Andrea also creates guides, tutorials and examples to direct students.

We asked her to share more about herself and what she loves most about her career:

1. Where does your love of writing come from? My mom was the first person who inspired me to read and write. She read to me, took me to the library and played vocabulary games with me growing up. She constantly encouraged my love of reading and writing. She made learning a priority as well as quite a bit of fun. My fifth-grade teacher also inspired me. She taught me about organization and focus. She challenged me to do my best. Both my mom and my fifth-grade teacher had a lasting, positive impact on me. When I considered my career path, I thought of them and chose to teach in the hopes of making that kind of positive impact on others.
  1. What do you enjoy most about your job? I love interacting with students and watching them grow in their writing, American Psychological Association (APA) skills and confidence in their ability to achieve their academic goals.
  1. Considering your job, what advice would you give to a CSU student? CSU has so many wonderful resources available to students, most of which are listed at the bottom of the institution page in Blackboard. They include the Math and Writing Resources page, the SafeAssign Essay Checker tool, the CSU Library and free access to Microsoft Office. I encourage students to fully utilize the tools at their disposal to help them throughout their college career.
  1. What can a student expect when they come to the Success Center for your writing assistance? Students can expect guidance and feedback on the work they submit for review. They can reach out to us with questions about APA and grammar. Although we are not content experts, we can read through syllabus instructions with them and send essay examples based on the type of paper they will be writing. We can also help them if they are new to using a program, like Word or PowerPoint. The Writing Center is a great team of tutors who are here to help students improve their writing and APA and achieve their academic goals.
  1. What do you enjoy doing in your spare time? I enjoy activities with my family, church and friends. I love doing basic woodworking projects and making homemade gifts. I also love camping with my family.

To learn more about the CSU Writing Center, visit the Writing Center in the MyCSU portal.

Disclaimer: These testimonials may not reflect the experience of all CSU students.
Multiple factors, including prior experience, geography, and degree field, affect career outcomes.
CSU does not guarantee a job, promotion, salary increase, eligibility for a position, or other career growth.

Share