COMMUNICATOR
September 16, 2024
Scholarship Roundup Graphic

August 2024 Scholarship Roundup

Briar Dodds
Briar Dodds of Ayden, North Carolina, has been named the recipient of the NAEMT Scholarship. Looking to pursue a master’s degree in public administration, Dodds feels life has uniquely prepared him for this particular program.

“My time with Civil Air Patrol started in 2010, just before hurricane season,” he said. “The first activities I participated in with the program were joint preparedness drills with North Carolina Emergency Management, where I learned the very basics of coordinating disaster response agencies, coordinating logistics for the response, and answering to stakeholders. I have done 14 years with the program and have had numerous opportunities to serve alongside NCEM and the national guard for disaster relief.”

“In public administration, focusing especially on emergency services, several critical issues demand attention in the immediate future,” he said. “My more narrow focus is rural communities, for which disaster preparedness and resilience is especially challenging.”

Andrew Bess
Andrew Bess of Angleton, Texas, has been awarded the Hero Behind the Hero Scholarship. Currently, he is employed by the Brazoria County Juvenile Justice Department. Bess says he has a passion for criminal justice and wants to grow more knowledgeable about the field.

“Obtaining my degree from Columbia Southern University can offer me the chance to pursue my interest and prepare me for my career path,” he said. “It wasn’t until I started working in the juvenile criminal justice field that I became enamored by all of the good work the degreed professional due in the field.”

With this scholarship, Bess plans to pursue a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice administration.

“I’m the first in my family to pursue a degree in higher education,” he said. “This scholarship would truly be a game-changer for my education by providing financial assistance and opening doors to a brighter future.”

Tori Davis
Tori Davis of Minooka, Illinois, has been awarded the Global Medical Response Scholarship. A licensed paramedic, Davis became an EMT after a near-death experience in a car crash at 17 years old.

With this scholarship, she plans to pursue an associate degree in emergency medical services.

“I wish to be the first in my family to graduate with an undergraduate degree,” she said. “I pray I help as many people as I can, first on the streets, and then in the books. My resilience is proof of my commitment. If I can leave a small impact on one person, I know I’ve done my job to the best of my ability. God gave back my life 13 years ago, and I intend to squeeze every last drop from it.”

For more information about Columbia Southern University’s scholarships, visit ColumbiaSouthern.edu/Scholarships.

Disclaimer: These testimonials may not reflect the experience of all CSU students.
Multiple factors, including prior experience, geography, and degree field, affect career outcomes.
CSU does not guarantee a job, promotion, salary increase, eligibility for a position, or other career growth.

Share