Xavier Beguiristain is an adjunct professor for the College of Business. A newcomer to CSU, Beguiristain joined the faculty in August of 2023. Outside of teaching, he is currently working in global supply chain management and logistics.
We asked him to share more about himself and what he loves most about his career:
- As a business professor, can you share some of your own career experience in the field? I say I have a 360 view in global supply chain management and logistics. I started in right after high school driving a forklift to pay for my way through college. I took some time off from that and moved to Paris, France, where I learned to speak French. This, coupled with being a native Spanish speaker, helped me land another job in logistics when I got back to the states. I worked at UPS for 10 years, went to an auto manufacturer, worked for CEVA Logistics, Maersk and then back into manufacturing for the last 10 years. In 2015, I went back to school to get my business degree in global supply chain management, and then on to my MBA in the same field.
- What do you enjoy most about your job? I learned while at UPS and through two dyslexic children, that not everyone learns the same. That led to the discovery of the genius in every person. Not everyone is smart in everything; however, everyone is smart in something. What I enjoy most is drawing out that genius in a student.
- Do you have a favorite moment or memory with a student? One of my students had a particularly challenging time with the assignments and built-up fear about the work. I did a few Zoom calls walking them through what was required. This included teaching them how to use Microsoft Word on managing references and teaching them how to write using the preacher’s creed. They took to it and did the work.
- Why should someone choose a degree in business at CSU? A degree shows that you have started something, showed up daily and completed the task. Going to a great online school that believes in student success like CSU with instructors with real world experience will prepare you for the job market better than almost any other education.
- What do you enjoy doing in your spare time? I like spending time with my family and enjoying what my kids like to do. My greatest joy is seeing them interested in something and having fun doing it.
To learn more about CSU’s College of Business, visit our website.