April 23, 2024

Master Sergeant, CSU Graduate Larry Damas Shares Story of Perseverance for Military Appreciation Month

In 1986, Larry Damas completed high school with a 1.2 GPA. As time passed, the struggle of learning did not get easier, leading him to take a break from his college education. Thinking he would never go back, he heard about Columbia Southern University. 35 years later, Damas not only completed his college degree, but did it with a 3.7 GPA

“No matter what I did growing up, I struggled with school,” said Damas. “I went on to college for the next four years at a private college. I started out as a business major and realized in that year that I was not suited for business, and I then changed my major to criminal justice. After the next three years, I still struggled with school and was frustrated.”

Damas ended his time in college and became a member of the National Guard. After returning home from Desert Storm, he then decided to work full-time for the National Guard.

“After three years I went back to being a traditional member of the National Guard and hired in with my local Sheriff’s Office in 1995. In 2000, I looked at going back to school to finish my degree and made the choice to enroll in CSU in 2012,” he said.

“In December 2021, I graduated with my Bachelor of Science in criminal justice administration and for someone who graduated high school with a 1.2 GPA, I graduated with honors with a 3.7 GPA.”

Earning a degree was always something Damas wished he could complete, and now thanks to his hard work and his military connection, he is a proud CSU graduate.

May is Military Appreciation Month, a special month that CSU is proud to celebrate. For those like Larry Damas who have served and are currently serving, we thank you for your commitment and sacrifice for our country.