April 25, 2024

Knights in the News | February 2022

Jim Topoleski
Jim Topoleski has been named division chief of wildlife and aviation programs for San Bernardino County, California. Chief Topoleski has spent 35 years with the Redlands Fire Department holding positions from paramedic to fire chief. “It has been a great honor to serve the people of Redlands over my career,” said Topoleski. “I look forward to using the knowledge and experience I have acquired in my career in Redlands to serve the residents of San Bernardino County.” Topoleski earned his associate in general studies and his bachelor’s in organizational leadership from CSU.

Carson Sanders
Carson Sanders was selected as Greenville, North Carolina’s fire rescue chief. He has more than 31 years of fire and EMS experience. “The goal is for Greenville Fire Rescue to become the benchmark fire and rescue organization in the region and deliver elite services,” he said. “I look forward to working with the professional men and women of Greenville Fire Rescue and serving this vibrant and diverse community.” Sanders earned his bachelor’s degree in emergency medical services administration from CSU in 2018.

Megan Caton
The city of Salisbury, Maryland, has appointed Megan Caton as its new director of human resources. She enters this position with more than 10 years of experience in the field of human resources and communications. “My goals are to provide fair and consistent service to the city and to offer the necessary tools and guidance to help employees become more engaged and to reach their career goals,” said Caton. She is a 2019 CSU graduate earning her master’s degree in business administration with a concentration in human resource management.

Shane Edwards
Shane Edwards will be named fire chief of the Macon-Bibb County, Georgia Fire Department after serving as interim chief for a year. Edwards has also been recognized with numerous awards including Firefighter of the Year by the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 658, Firefighter of the Year by the Macon Evening Lions Club and is the recipient of the Macon Exchange Club Service Award. He earned his bachelor’s degree in fire administration from CSU.

Adam Shaw
Adam Shaw has been promoted to the rank of lieutenant within the Sarasota County, Florida Sheriff’s Department. He began his law enforcement career in 2010 and has since worked in the agency’s Tactical Unit, Criminal Investigations Section, Special Investigations Section and Intelligence Unit. He is a 2021 CSU graduate.

Michael Strickland
Michael Strickland has been appointed as the Troup County, Georgia Fire Chief. Strickland has served as the interim fire chief since October 2021 and as the emergency management agency director since January 2021. “I am truly honored, humbled and excited for this opportunity as fire chief for Troup County,” he said. “Being appointed fire chief is the pinnacle of a firefighter’s career and I have dedicated my career in pursuing the education, training and experience to prepare myself.” Strickland holds a bachelor’s degree in fire science from Columbia Southern University.

Gregory Schacht
Augusta County has announced Gregory Schacht as its new fire and rescue chief. He brings more than 30 years of experience to the role and has served as interim co-chief since September 2021. “I believe in the mission and vision of Augusta County Fire Rescue, and, more importantly, I believe in the men and women behind the name who work so hard to serve the county. It is a privilege to provide leadership and serve alongside of them,” Schacht said. Schact earned a bachelor’s degree in fire science from CSU in 2015.

Delton Carter
Delton Carter was named the chief of the Lake Charles Fire Department in Lake Charles, Louisiana. An Army veteran, Carter joined the Lake Charles Fire Department in 1999. He said he wants to be an advocate for firefighters and for improving conditions at fire stations. “I have a vision of what I think we need to do,” he said. “If we carry that throughout our department, we can bring more people in here that are going to love what we do.” Carter is a CSU graduate earning his associate in fire science, bachelor’s in fire administration and master’s in business administration concentrating in human resource management.