April 25, 2024

December Scholarship Roundup

Kendra Magby: Atlanta Fire Rescue Scholarship
Kendra Magby of Stockbridge, Georgia, is the recipient of the Atlanta Fire Rescue scholarship. After meeting with a CSU representative and speaking with her manager, Magby became hopeful about the possibility of pursing her MBA.

“Speaking with my manager about receiving my master’s in public administration was a huge catalyst with me pursuing this scholarship. Just seeing her excitement and faith in me being able to complete this program really put the battery in my back to go for it,” she said.

As a single mother of two, Magby finds that her dreams are sometimes put on the backburner. With this scholarship, however, she will be able to complete her degree while working and taking care of her family.

“I want my kids to see me being successful in my career and reaching my goals,” she said. “I want to attend a university that will allow me to put the things I’ve learned into practice and develop my skills even further. I know that this university will be a good fit for me. I look forward to joining the Columbia Southern family and achieving something I’ve been wanting for a while now.”

Thomas Uhlis: Atlanta Police Department Scholarship
Thomas Uhlis of Hiram, Georgia, is the recipient of the Atlanta Police Department Scholarship. Uhlis has been with the department for 20 years and will use this scholarship to pursue his master’s degree in criminal justice administration.

“I believe coming onto the Atlanta Police Department at such a young age, 22, allowed me the ability to see the evolution of policing today,” he said. “I started my career as a patrol officer and achieved the rank of sergeant with only three years on the police department. I was one of the youngest police officers to achieve that goal at that time.”

Since then, Uhlis has served on the criminal investigations, homicide, fugitive, planning and research, and field operations units.

Indirah Adderley: National Association of Women Law Enforcement Executives Scholarship
Indirah Adderley of Nassau, Bahamas, is the recipient of the National Association of Women Law Enforcement Executives (NAWLEE) scholarship.

Adderley has served in the Royal Bahamas Police Force for 25 years and will pursue a master’s degree in emergency services management. Throughout her career, she has become a voice for issues affecting women in the force.

“In 2006, I was inspired to form an association that would look at issues that impacted women police officers in my organization,” she said. “As a result, the Caribbean Association of Women Police was formed, of which I was the president for three years. I was able to speak to women from throughout the Caribbean on issues such a maternity uniforms, maternity leave, professional hair and equal opportunities.”

Jessica Spradley: National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians Scholarship
Jessica Spradley of Gaston, South Carolina, is the recipient of the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT) Scholarship. She will pursue an MPA in emergency services management, a dream she has had since she earned her bachelor’s degree.

“Financially, I am still paying on student loans for that initial undergraduate degree and this scholarship would help me achieve my dream and alleviate the financial burden that more education brings,” she said. “Not only am I a first generation college graduate, I even gained a high school diploma when my parents did not.”

Spradley hopes that earning her master’s degree will help her better understand the issues facing both the public and fellow paramedics, as well as pursue promotions within her department.

“As a paramedic, I have a ton of emergency scene management skills and I have dealt with the public during trying times on many occasions,” she said. “Hopefully more education, such as this master’s degree, would make me a more qualified candidate.”

Paula Tronvold: National Fallen Firefighters Foundation Scholarship
Paula Tronvold of Pierre, South Dakota, is the recipient of the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation Scholarship. Her husband, Curtis Dean Mikkelsen, a volunteer firefighter, lost his life in 1991. Tronvold, also a volunteer firefighter and emergency medical technician, knew she had to continue working after the tragedy in order to help her community.

“We lived in a community of 400 people; there is only a volunteer fire and ambulance service. At the time, we only had about 10 people on the ambulance service,” she said. “Volunteers are critical for these services to survive. I could have given up my certification when [he passed], but I didn’t. I knew that my training and certification were beneficial to my community.”

With this scholarship, Tronvold will pursue an associate’s degree in occupational safety and health. She hopes to one day create a consulting business for fire, life and safety audits, in memory of her husband.

“Curt was an electrician. There was no true safety training involved,” she said. “It would be beneficial to be able to set up a regional training for small businesses that are not able to hire a full-time safety officer. With this plan, time could be spent evaluating the business as well as providing appropriate safety training.”

You may learn more about CSU scholarships and other ways to save on the CSU website.