The Continuing Education Department at Columbia Southern University is launching a new online course, CE 1005: Fire Instructor I. As a prerequisite to CE 1003: Fire Officer I, this course helps students develop the knowledge and abilities required to deliver instruction effectively from a prepared lesson plan, including instruction aids, evaluation instruments and more.
Course Information for CE 1005:
- Timeline: Students will have up to 10 weeks to complete the course at their own pace.
- Enrollment: Students can enroll in this course any time. To ensure the best quality of learning, CSU has scheduled start dates for this course (see table below).
- Cost: $295
- Continuing Education Units: 7.7
Additional Course Requirements:
- Students must have access to Google Chrome and a web camera.
- Students are required to give live presentations throughout the course to show comprehension of course content.
- Students work directly with the professor to select a mutually agreed upon time to present.
- Students who earn a 70 percent or higher in the course are eligible to sit for the Fire Instructor I online exam offered through the Alabama Fire College (AFC) for an additional $95 testing fee.
- Prerequisites to take the exam: International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or ProBoard Firefighter 1 Certificate or Certified Volunteer Fire Fighter
- AFC issues dually accredited certificates (IFSAC & ProBoard). Both of those bodies are international accrediting boards that most states accept.
- Please check with a training officer or fire chief before enrolling to ensure that your department will accept the AFC certification.
|Fire Instructor I Start Dates|
|Month||Enrollment Deadline||Start Date|
|March||February 22, 2017||March 1, 2017|
|April||March 29, 2017||April 5, 2017|
|May||April 26, 2017||May 3, 2017|
|June||May 31, 2017||June 7, 2017|
|July||June 28, 2017||July 5, 2017|
|August||July 26, 2017||August 2, 2017|
|September||August 30, 2017||September 6, 2017|
|October||September 27, 2017||October 4, 2017|
|November||October 25, 2017||November 1, 2017|
|December||November 29, 2017||December 6, 2017|
For additional course information or to enroll, visit ColumbiaSouthern.edu/CE1005. Email ContinuingEd@ColumbiaSouthern.edu or call (800)-313-1992 with questions. These programs are not eligible for Federal Student Aid, military tuition assistance, VA funding or Learning Partner discounts.