by Amanda Manjone
Family Health and Fitness Day is a national holiday dedicated to promoting family involvement in physical activity and healthy living. Health and fitness are two impactful ways to positively influence your studies for both you and your children! Here are five ways to stay active and healthy with your family:
1. Visit a local “pick your own” farm. This is a great way to reconnect with nature, get exercise and fresh air, and reap the benefits by having fresh fruits and vegetables. Pickyourown.org is a great website that can help you find a farm in your area. You may even find a farm that has a special class, such as how to make jam or how to preserve fruit!
2. Go on a hike. A simple search of the internet or visit to the library to pick up a book on local excursions is a great place to start. Many trails are rated by level of difficulty so you know which ones are appropriate for the members of your family. Going on a hike before tackling a major school assignment may increase your productivity!
3. Go for a bike ride. Map out a fun trip on your bikes to a local park or attraction. Pack a healthy picnic and enjoy spending time together while getting in some miles. Be sure everyone is safe and wears a helmet and reflective gear.
4. Compete in local 5k or fun run. Running (and walking) is a great way to bring the family together and get healthy. This is one reason CSU started a running club! Many 5k races can be completed by children and for those who are too young, there are fun runs!
5. Revisit outdoor games. Longtime favorites such as volleyball, dodgeball, and badminton are all great options if you want to have some outside fun. Don’t be afraid to try something new, too, like Spikeball or lawn twister. You will feel like a kid again and won’t even notice you’re getting exercise!