The Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy for Title IV Students has been updated. Below is an overview of some of the changes that were made to the policy. To review the complete policy, please visit the CSU Student Handbook.
Pace of completion requirements for Graduate students
- Successfully complete 50% of 0 – 9 attempted credit hours
- Successfully complete 60% of 10 – 18 attempted credit hours
- Successfully complete 67% of 19 or more attempted credit hours
Note: Attempted hours include completed courses, repeated courses, withdrawals, incompletes and transfer credit.
Max Time Frame requirements for Masters and Doctoral students
- Masters students must complete their degree program requirements within 7 years of study in a specific graduate program.
- Doctoral students must complete their degree program requirements within 10 years of study after completing their first class.
Grade of Incomplete ( I )
- A grade of incomplete will count as attempted hours for purposes of SAP.
Note: Students issued a grade of incomplete (I) while on SAP Financial Aid Warning will not be eligible to use federal student aid for subsequent payment periods, pending resolution of the incomplete grade.
Change of Program
- Added language to further clarify that for purposes of measuring SAP, all attempted credit hours will be calculated when a student changes degree programs (majors) at the same degree level (e.g. Bachelor’s to Bachelor’s).
For example: If a student attempts 75 credit hours in a bachelor’s degree program and changes degree programs at the same degree level and only 45 credit hours are accepted as transfer credit into the new degree program; all 75 credit hours will count as attempted hours when determining SAP.
- Added language to clarify the Maximum Time Frame Appeal process for students attempting their first degree with CSU and for students attempting multiple degrees with CSU.
Note: Appeal requests are now processed in the Office of Financial Aid rather than the Registrar’s office.
Financial Aid Reinstatement
- A student may request financial aid reinstatement once he/she successfully completes enough credits to meet the minimum SAP standards.