October 4, 2023

Day in the life of a Learning Partners representative

Jacksonville MapThe CSU Partnership Development department works to build relationships with municipalities, government and corporate agencies and to inform them of the various educational opportunities CSU offers. The agencies and businesses become Learning Partners with CSU with the aid of representatives who travel across the nation to visit and connect with their employees.

The following is a brief diary about the travels of one Learning Partner representative, Duane Brown. A former pro baseball player, Brown enjoys working out and various sports. Brown has been with CSU for about one-and-a-half-years. “The nature of my trips is to visit existing Learning Partners that we have in each city. My job is to go to these partners and build relationships with them. And while I am visiting these partners, I also go out and try and sign up other corporations, fire and police departments with CSU.”

Read on to get a glimpse about a day in his life as a Learning Partners representative.Duane Brown

Trip 1

Tallahassee and Jacksonville, Fla.

Day 1: Left on Sunday and picked up rental car from Pensacola Airport and drove to Tallahassee. I arrived at hotel in Tallahassee around 8 p.m.

Day 2: I met with Mr.  Todd Notley  from the Tallahassee Fire Department. I was with Todd most of the day. We had lunch and talked about CSU and how we could help fulfill their needs for continued education. The weather was sunny. I arrived back at the hotel around 5:30 p.m.  I worked on reports until about 7 p.m.

Day 3: Got up early and headed to Madison Fire Department.  I met with Delbert Bell with the Madison Fire Department. He is huge football fan. I had two other meetings scheduled but had to cancel due to weather– a big storm was coming in from the west. So I decided to head to Jacksonville. It was a crazy driving experience. It rained very hard. I passed 11 accidents between Tallahassee and Jacksonville. Got to the hotel in Jacksonville around 6:30 p.m. Didn’t eat dinner. I finished some reports and lights out at 10 p.m.

Day 4: I am on my way to Jacksonville Fire Department. I have a meeting with the deputy chief of training then afterwards I am headed to Panama City for meetings on Thursday.  It was a nice drive to Panama City. I arrived at my hotel about 6 p.m.

Day 5: I had breakfast about 7 a.m. and went to my first visit with the Panama City Police Department. Met with Sgt. Jon Morris. He has three sons 16, 14, and 4 and they all play sports– basketball and baseball. Sgt. Morris also works as a security guard for all the concerts in Panama City. He had some really good stories. He sent one of his sons to a Orlando Magic camp and he thought that was amazing. Left the Police Department and headed to Destin. What a beautiful day.  Stopped and visited with Chief Sasser with Destin Fire Department.  We had a great visit talking about CSU.  I arrived back in Orange Beach at 7 p.m. It was a good trip.

Trip 2


Day 1: Left for the airport at 9 a.m. to catch my flight at 11:50 a.m. Arrived in Atlanta at 1 p.m. and checked into the hotel.

Day 2: Had a meeting with CSX, a big railroad company. I was able to set up in their lunch room and speak to about 400 employees. Two-hundred at each lunch break. Met some really cool people. I was able to take a tour around the buildings and talk to some of their instructors. Stopped and had dinner.  Arrived back at the hotel and did my reports and called it a night.

Day 3: Ready to go! Breakfast was good. Going to have to wear my jacket; it snowed last night. First stop: I had a great visit with the training captain. We discussed the partnership. Come to find out he is a single dad with one child in college and the other is in middle school. I tip my hat to him. What a harsh schedule. Next stop was with a security company. I met with our liaison and we spoke to a couple of employees about our program and they were both interested in CSU. One of the guys was in the military and had just got out. Weather is cold outside windy and icy. On to my next stop. Dropped off information to a fire and police departments.

Day 4: Drove to Peachtree City to meet with the Fire Department.  Smyrna Police Department was my next stop. It was a quick meeting with Robert Harvey. I gave him the information and updates on new things happening at CSU.  Still cold outside and snow on the ground.  Off to my next two visits to drop off information.  Arrived back at the hotel did my reports, then ate dinner and called it a night.

Day 5: Had to get up at 6 a.m. to get to the airport and catch my flight back to Pensacola. I returned the rental car and took the tram to the airport. Had a great time in Atlanta. It was a great week for visits.